Blizzard has definitely dropped the ball on giving some needed guild improvements. Players should not be required to get add-ons to compensate for some of these core capabilities.
While they tried in Cataclysm with the guild experience and the guild recruitment tool, those were focusing more attention on the wrong areas, in my opinion.
Today, players walk up to any billboard in WoW and the game suggests a litany of solo-play activities. But, for guilds, all they get is the guild recruitment tool that doesn't really work.
Guild Recruitment Overhaul:
- Ability to invite people that are offline or alts of your own.
- Automatically update the guild list to indicate how active a guild is... what activities they have done recently as a guild and allow queries on this information.
- Have guilds that are inactive - no guild activities (no one logging into them) are grayed out as inactive. They have a guild activity tracker system, let the players know when guilds are dead or at least how active they will be before you join.
- Give players the ability to filter, search and set criterion to help them find the perfect guild.
- Why do players have to know about wowprogress.com or guildox to be able to assess a guilds progress?
Handling Players and their Characters
- Guilds should allow up to 999 account instead of 999 characters. The number of characters should not impact the number of players that can join a guild. The more and more character slots Blizzard gives us the more characters players want to bring to their guilds but this limits the number of people a guild can have. Please fix this!
- Build into the system to manage players (and their alternative characters) as a unit (by account) instead of having to manage them independently and try to figure out who is who. Yes, I know this means that players give up some ability to have 2 toons in a guild and be anonymous on one or the other in the same guild, sorry, but I track alts already and have never had anyone have issue.
- Allow us to have permission sets independent of the ranks. Ranks usually imply what activities players do or how long they've been with the guild. But, this doesn't mean they also need privileges. They might, but they might not. With permission sets, I could apply different "jobs" to different players regardless of their ranks. Example:
- Member: PvPs set, Raider set. Bank Manager set.
- Member: Raider set.
- Officer: Guild Chat set. Bank Manager set. Raider Set.
- I'd like about 5 more ranks. I probably don't need that many, but it's nice to have ranks to indicate length of service in the guild. I can do this, but without permission sets, I need different ranks for different bank permissions. Example:
- Member (> month)
- Tenured (> 6 month)
- Senior (> 12 months)
- Allow ranks to have a sub-titles that guildies can see on name plate. Today you get "recruit" in your guild tag, but the guild could see guild labels instead. The guild reputation no longer means anything:
- New - Joeman
- Raider - Joeman
- Officer - Joeman
- Ability to indicate when players are away and when they will return. Sort of like a "leave calendar"
- With #1. If someone is scheduled on leave, automatically decline for new events on their scheduled away times and link to the "away" notice.
- Ability to chat/set away notices from the phone app.
- Ability to give notes when you accept an event like "I will be 5 mins late", "can't make it, cat's on fire"
- Make calendar notices more "in your face" than just the blinking ?. Like when they log in. Here are new activities on the calendar.
- Allow creating repeating events so I don't have to copy paste week to week for regular raids. Perhaps just a month at a time if they are afraid of forever events.
- Allow for color coding activities on the calendar.
- Give us the ability to set types of items on a tab and when people donate the items to the bank it automatically attempts to place it on the correct tab.
- Make the guild bank auto sort.
- Have the ability to exclude certain items from being added to the bank. If people submit junk and it's rejected and returned to the submitted ("your item type is not currently requested by the guild").
- Better API for monitoring suspicious guild bank activity. People regularly withdrawing gold, regularly withdrawing items, etc.
- Provide an API for external voice providers to hook in for quicker voice joins. Yes, I know WoW will have a new voice system soon, but unless it can compete... folks will still prefer Discord, Teamspeak, Ventrilo. Don't close the voice economy down. Then, if voice services choose to allow it, they can auto join voice servers in a single click.
- Give US a LOT more space for guild notes.
- 1024 characters for the player (per account). The play can tell a little about themselves, offer up contact information if they are willing, etc.
- 1024 characters for officers. A small space to track notes about the players play schedule, teams the participate on, what kind of activities they like.
- 1024 character for the guild manager. A small space to track issues or conversations with the player in case of dispute.
- Give guild planners the ability to plan activities. Quick and easy way to add raids to the calendar.
- Suggest ideas for guild activities: Raids, 5-mans, challenge modes, rated battlegrounds, pet battle tournaments, races. Have a suggestion of the month that pops up. Keep the players engaged. Help guild leaders improve their guilds.
Just think of how much better organized a guild would be if we had the tools to make a guild sing.
Guilds didn't need guild perks, guild leveling. They are nice, but they need tools.
What about your guild? What would you add?