Thursday, April 1, 2010

Learning to Raid Lead - Trial by Fire

Last night, I let another guildie run an "easy" raid on Onyxia-10.  I figured it couldn't go too badly. 

We didn't down the dragon, which is odd seeing how I've downed her every time before since anyone in the group has had any gear above 219, but that's okay, I am not wipe adverse as some members may be.
"That isn't how I wanted my first raid leading job to go", he said.
Well, it did.  I stood back and let it happen too.  It got me thinking, I don't think I ever read a guide to "how to lead a raid".  I am not sure there is even a good one out there or one that does it like I would.  I have read some good tips, but they aren't really procedural.

Nobody is perfect and even I don't do what I want myself to do every time, but I am trying. 

I will update my raiding leading axioms with these.

Tips:
  • Talk aloud (on vent).  You have to talk, not type.  Talk to people directly, not indirectly, if possible (i.e. Joe do this, rather than Tanks do this).1
  •  Know the fights from all points of view so you can explain it.1
  • Stay in charge.  Don't let detractors pull down the momentum.  Derail it.  Have someone in the wings ready to replace the person that derails you.1
  • Have the activity planned in advanced.  No one in the raid is going to answer questions like "so, what y'all wanna do?"  /crickets.

References:
  1. http://picklemonkey.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-to-lead-raid.html

No comments:

Post a Comment